Monday, January 28, 2013

Don't Yike...

DH was gone for a week. He was relaxing in Hawaii going scuba diving and to the movie theatre. He claims it was a work trip but somehow I wonder. Anyway things around here were crazy, they usually are, but this was on a much more uncontrolled scale. LD was a bit 2.5yo-ish. Being obstinate and doing the exact opposite of what I asked. His newest thing is "LD don't yike ..." insert pretty much whatever it is you're trying to get him to do, eat, wear, etc. The kid apparently doesn't like anything. I was stumped as to where he came up with that phrase, unlike when he occasionally lets a naughty curse word fly. I know where he heard those. DH is quite embarrassed to be married to someone who can out curse a sailor. One afternoon I was making dinner and listening to DH read Green Eggs and Ham to LD for about the 6th time in a row and it dawned on me, Dr. Seuss you rascal, you. When I shared my enlightenment with DH he told me he no longer yikes Dr. Seuss. I tend to agree. I've been working so hard to teach myself to cook and when I proudly serve up a new dish and my 2.5yo promptly tells me he doesn't yike it, my spirits are a bit crushed. I try to remind myself it's a phase and soon he'll be 3 and onto the next scary/annoying/frustrating phase.   I'll admit I did smile a little when he told me, "LD don't yike Daddy." when we had finished a Skype call with him in Hawaii. I agree son, I agree. Sometimes Mommy doesn't yike Daddy either. Especially when he's getting 8+ hours of sleep in a balmy 85 degree tropical locale and I'm outside shoveling the sidewalk in 19 degree weather.



4 comments:

  1. I don't know *how* you pretended it was okay that he went to Hawaii while you stayed home. Not cool man, not cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I'm glad I don't have the only kid doing the exact opposite of what is being asked of him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here...maybe we should try some reverse psychology. ;) Our current catch phrase is "But I don't want to do (insert absolutely anything that I ask/sounds reasonablee/would make life easier)", sometimes followed by some laying in the floor/screeching/dissolving into a whiny puddle of almost-three-year-old. Our phrase comes from Caillou...damned PBS.;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stay strong mama! Papa owes you some serious time off when he gets back. My DH is headed to Switzerland for "work" in February and I don't yike it either ;-)

    ReplyDelete